Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

(SALES) Just Stop By!

3-15-2013

I?ve made it a practice over the years to follow certain steps and rules I?ve created whenever I get a new client. Actually, there are 16 of these steps that occur at different times in the client relationship. It?s a list I always have posted at my fingertips.

Today, let?s talk about one of these rules? JUST STOP BY!

It would frighten you to know how many radio sellers, all across the country today, will drive by one of their own, active clients, with time to spare, and not stop by. Let me repeat that. They?re between appointments. They have time on their hands. They?re driving by one of their own clients, and they do not stop in to check on them. Unbelievable, isn?t it?

This came to light several years ago. I was visiting a market I oversaw and was riding in the car with a salesperson there going to an appointment we had with one of their clients. Upon arriving, we found out the client had a family emergency and had to leave. He left word he?d call as soon as he could and reschedule. After leaving, we were a few miles down the road and the seller pointed to a car dealership we?d just driven by and said, ?That?s (so-and-so), one of my largest accounts.? I said, ?Why don?t you turn around and let?s go back. I?d like to meet them if they?re in.?

Now, think about this. You?re a local seller with your regional VP in your car making sales calls with you and you just drove by a client with time on your hands and did not stop by! Again, if you?re in management, you don?t want to know how many times a week this is happening in your own operation.

So, what?s the benefit of just stopping by? For one thing, your client appreciates it. They might say, ?You were just here two days ago. I don?t need anything.? But, in their mind they?re saying to themselves, ?She really takes care of me. She wouldn?t dare be near here and not check in on me.? Another reason to just stop by is because, many times, you?ll learn something you might have not found out otherwise. I stopped by a client one day and met a commercial realtor I knew leaving my client?s office. My client introduced me and I said, ?Sure, I know Jerry. How are you?? My client then said to me, ?I?m making an offer on a building for our second store.?

When you JUST STOP BY you learn things, get to know other employees, sometimes even run into your competitors. Regardless, your client appreciates it! So, as a seller, when you?re even remotely near one of your clients and you have 10 extra minutes, JUST STOP BY!

Rob Adair is the President of Pinnacle Solving. His company provides revenue growth solutions, branding and differentiation strategies to radio and other industries. Adair is a former radio industry COO and Sr. VP overseeing 25+ stations and multiple major markets. He can be reached at 405-641-0458 or by e-mail rob@pinnaclesolving.com

(3/15/2013 8:31:49 AM)
Thanks Rob for sharing your story.

It's the little things that make the difference to a client, and builds great relationships.

I'm using your article as part of our Friday sales meeting.

Looking forward to more articles.

Camellia Pflum CRMC
General Sales Manager
Renda Broadcasting SWF


Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here