Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Public Broadcaster Must Pay $145K

9-16-14

Ira Flatow, host of Science Now has agreed to pay than $145,000 to settle civil accusations that he mismanaged a federal grant worth nearly $1 million. Flatow?s show has aired on public radio since 1991. The show is distributed by Public Radio International and now is produced by New York-based Science Friday Initiative. Until January it was distributed by NPR. The New Haven Register says the settlement means Flatow will avoid a lawsuit. Flatow also agreed not to participate in federal programs, grants or contracts for one year. For his part, Flatow said he totally disagreed with the decision.

 "I disagree with the conclusions of this investigation. I spent the money exactly how I said I would, delivered the show exactly how I said I would. We?ve agreed to disagree,? he said. ?How much is it going to cost to disagree, that?s what we?re talking about here. I?ve been successfully receiving grants for 40 years. ... Why am I suddenly being penalized for conforming to the same standards I have for four decades??

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here