Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Managing In A Major Market

1-8-2013

Yesterday, Kim Bryant was walking the halls of WABC-AM and WPLJ-FM in New York City. Call letters that are recognized industry wide. Bryant was just announced the new Market Manager for the two Cumulus stations and was taking note of some of radio's biggest stars, who at one time, called one of those two stations home. 

From hundreds of applicants looking to lead the Cumulus New York cluster, Bryant got the call. Most recently at cable channel CineMoi, Bryant is a radio person, having spent 25 years with Clear Channel, and Westwood One. We spoke to Bryant about getting the call to turn WABC and WPLJ back into New York powerhouses.

RI: Why come back to radio?
Bryant:
I just love radio. I am just so glad to be back in it, back in the local side of it, and thrilled to be working with Cumulus. I think radio is redefining itself as we speak. There are so many platforms out there. All of those platforms, whether you are talking about digital or any of those spaces, online, magazine, print....they all need radio to extend the reach. I think radio is being seen as an extension of that. I think we are having to redefine ourselves, so I think this is a perfect time to get back into radio and to help redefine it. I am thrilled to be a part of a company that is doing it and growing again, and not going backwards.

RI: What's it like getting the call to be the manager of WABC and WPLJ? 
Bryant:
I am still pinching myself. It is a thrill of a lifetime. I never dreamt in a thousand years that I would get that call. I am absolutely thrilled and full of pride and excited to be a part of these unbelievable stations that have been a part of the fabric of New York for years and, quite frankly, created radio as we know it today.

RI: What do you think the biggest challenge of managing in New York City is?
Bryant:
I don't think it has anything to do with New York City. It's like any market in any format. It is about selling radio today. I think you have a generation of buyers and planners that live a different lifestyle than  the rest of the country,  or who's listening habits are different in Manhattan, or maybe their listening habits are different. I think selling through the relevancy of radio is really important in New York. I think that has been the challenge in New York for a while. In talking to people that live and breathe here, who have been doing this for the last 20 years, Manhattan is one of the biggest challenges. I think that is probably it. I think, again, that radio is in a different place today than it was three years ago, and we are redefining ourselves and really redefining where we fit in that new landscape.

RI: Where do you want to take those two stations, other than the obvious, to drive the revenue higher?
Bryant:
In the market, I want the market to believe and feel that they are the brand and the heritage stations that they once were. I want this building to believe that they are the brand that they once were, and currently still are. I walked the halls today, and you can't help but be impressed with the Scott and Todds and the Imuses -- everything that built these two stations to where they are today, really their essence is still here, and they're still great and there is still great things going on in this building.

(1/9/2013 2:37:37 PM)
"Brand. Platform. Lifestyle. Digital. Redefining." What, no "social media"?
(1/9/2013 10:15:14 AM)
Why bet against her? The landscape can shift and she might have the resourcefulness to make it work out. I'd take the Vegas odds on her.
(1/9/2013 9:39:11 AM)
I have a lot of respect for Kim and I wish her the best.
(1/9/2013 7:14:29 AM)
She just became the captain of a sinking ship.
(1/9/2013 3:25:44 AM)
Good luck to Kim! And you have to appreciate her enthusiasm. ... The success of radio stations, or any platforms, is driven by UNIQUE COMPELLING CONTENT. Unfortunately, Cumulus completely trashed legendary stations KGO in San Francisco and KABC in Los Angeles, by dumbing down the stations with syndicated programs that local listeners DID NOT CARE ABOUT. It is doubtful that the Dickeys have learned anything by these failures.

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here