Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Remembering Bob Coburn




Monday, December 19, 2016
Dec 19th 2016, 06:52, by radioinfo
bob-coburnRemembering Bob Coburn.  Diagnosed with stage four lung cancer earlier this year, Bob Coburn lost his fight against the disease and passed away Saturday (12/17) at 12:32 pm. While it might not have been completely continuous, Coburn spent well over 35 years in Los Angeles radio on stations that included Cumulus Media rocker KLOS (far and away the longest amount of time); KMET; KCBS-FM; KLSX; and KZLA. In addition to having a large Los Angeles following, the 68-year-old Coburn was known to audiences nationwide for hosting the syndicated interview/music show "Rockline," a program he inherited from B. Mitchell Reed. Over two tenures, Coburn spent 30 years on "Rockline" (1981 – 1994 and 1997 – 2014). News spread quickly through social media over the weekend of the passing of Coburn, who most recently handled 9:30 am – 12:00 noon duties on KLOS. The following was posted on KLOS' website immediately after Coburn's death: "The outpouring of love and support for this man has been truly beautiful. While he has been fighting like a champion, all rock and roll journeys eventually come to an end.  He wasn't in pain [at the end] and he was with his family. The music world lost a legend and he will forever be in our hearts." On Saturday, the station played listener requests dedicated to Coburn. There were numerous tributes to Coburn, including this one from former KLOS program director Rita Wilde, who now does evenings on cross-town Entercom classic rocker KSWD. "He was a rock star to me. He was so eloquent on the radio, perfectly blending music with succinct quotes or quips. He was a fantastic interviewer. He knew perfectly how to ask a question and follow it up – a perfect storyteller, never going too long and always ending with a poignant fact or a laugh. He was a musical historian who taught me about the genealogy of rock and roll and how much of it was borrowed from the blues. He knew politics and sports and was completely comfortable interviewing anyone from Paul McCartney to Bill Clinton to a listener, making sure each was challenged yet comfortable. He was a mentor to me. He believed in me more than I believed in myself. I observed and listened and knew there wasn't a better role model for what I wanted to do. I think I only got mad at him once and that was before I met him. It was a beautiful day as I was driving on my way to class. He put on 'Kitty's Back' by Bruce Springsteen. Before I knew it, I was flooring it, singing at the top of my lungs. Yes, I got pulled over and was given a ticket for speeding. Without knowing it, Bob paid me back with a lifetime of memories. I love you 'BC' – always have and always will." Another ex-KLOS PD, Bob Buchmann (currently morning co-host on San Diego's KGB), writes on his Facebook page, "My friend and co-worker Bob Coburn has passed away. I always asked Bob if he could do more shifts on KLOS. His back issues made that impossible, and now, we lose him to cancer. What a talent – he was beloved by artists and everyone in radio; a nice man." Longtime programmer and consultant John Sebastian notes, "I loved listening to him on great Los Angeles rock stations and I actually lured him to do country for me [on Los Angeles' KZLA]. He would have been great doing jazz, classical, or any other format. He was a great talent and an even better man." Noted media historian/author/familiar Los Angeles talent Randy West comments, "This is so sad. I sat in with Bob at KLOS. He was a total pro and a great guy. His delivery was incredibly intimate and credible for the knowledgeable album rock crowd. Superb on-air talent Fraser Smith remarks, "The legendary Bob Coburn was the godfather of rock and one of the greatest [personalities] ever. He was my golfing buddy and a true friend." Veteran Los Angeles assistant program director/music director (and widow of The Real Don Steele) Shaune Steele states, "My prayers are with Bob's family at this horrible, unbearable time." Patty Sarratt recalls that she, "worked at KLOS and assisted on the board for a while during 'Rockline' back in the day. I really liked BC – he knew his rock and roll." News-talk consultant Valerie Geller adds, "I am so sorry to hear this news." Surviving Coburn are his wife Lynette and three children. A private ceremony has been planned; a public celebration of Coburn's life will be held next month.
The post Monday, December 19, 2016 appeared first on RadioInfo.