Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Steve Rivers Dies

Former Evergreen Media CEO Scott Ginsburg told Radio Ink last night how sad he was to hear this news, "Steve was an integral part of our broadcast enterprise, and was nothing short of a high functioning genius.  He will live on through all the people he trained and brought into the radio broadcasting industry."And, in hearing from many programmers who learned from, and looked up to Rivers, they can all still hear him saying, "Just Play The Hits,"as they share fond memories of a man who died way before he should have. Radio Ink Publisher Eric Rhoads (pictured with Rivers) said, "Steve and I became friends when we worked together at 96X in Miami in 1975 and have been close ever since. We worked together again when he joined me at RadioCentral, my Internet radio startup. Steve was soft-spoken but carried a big stick. He was a powerhouse programmer and one of the most fair and gentle men I have ever known. Steve was one of my closest friends, and this is a huge personal loss. My heart goes out to Steve's family. We last spoke following his stroke, when he was bedridden in the nursing home in Tampa. He was frustrated that he could not work and was doing station critiques while listening to stations online. He never lost his passion for radio. He will be deeply missed."

Clear Channel President of National Programming Tom Poleman tells Radio Ink, "I spent most of my early career trying to get Steve's attention. As far back as the 80s, he was a legend to me. I studied everything he did; I knew all of his formatics and promotions. And I desperately wanted to work with him, but never got the chance until shortly after I became PD of Z100 in 96. My dream came true when Evergreen and Chancellor merged and Steve became the head of programming for AM/FM. I loved every minute of our strategic meetings. I can still hear his voice reminding me to "just play the hits," and "if you're not getting complaints of repetition, then you're not playing your powers enough!" Steve gave me my first shot as an SVP of Programming. And I'll forever be grateful. He was a brilliant programmer and a special man. He'll always be part of who I am as a programmer."

From left to right in this picture are: Lynn Powell, Michael Martin, Steve Rivers, Karen Tobin, Steve Ringold, Mike Callahan, Kevin Weatherly, Jerry Burnham and Jack Silver.

KLOS/KABC Program Director Jack Silver tells Radio Ink, "I first met Steve at KMEL in San Francisco in the mid 80?s?And he became a major mentor to me and all those around us brining his top 40 skills from Tampa and sharing them with me and Keith Naftaly. Then, in the late 80?s, Steve brought me to KIIS-FM to work with Rick Dees and later music director.It is a sad day for our industry in that we lost a guy who truly loves radio and shared his expertise with those around him. On a personal side, I loved smoking a cigar with Steve, and sharing radio stories.  He was a pioneer in our industry."

B101 Philly PD Chuck Knight tells Radio Ink, "Steve was the VP of Programming for Pyramid Broadcasting in the mid-90s. He believed in me enough to bring me to Philadelphia for the first time to program Star 104.5. Steve had a low-key, dry sense of humor and I remember him always giving me a hard time for driving a big, old-man, 4-door Buick. Ironically, I thought of him and that memory this morning while I was driving into the office.  It made me smile.  I guess Steve was checking in on a few of us this morning."

KISS-FM (L.A.) Program Director John Ivey had been friends with Steve Rivers a long time. They are both from Kentucky. They are also the only two PD's that can say they programmed both KISS in Boston and KISS in L.A. Ivey tells Radio Ink Rivers plucked him out of Nashville where he had just signed a 3-year deal at Y107. "They bought out my contract and hired me as P.D. at KISS in Boston. A dream job. About a year later, Steve came into my office and said he didn't think this was working out. I told him there was no way anyone here was going to listen to me as long as he was still in the building. The next month I opened the trades and read he was moving to Seattle. It was Steve getting out of my way. I programmed the station for 6 years until coming to KISS in L.A. 11 years ago."

Kevin Weatherly of KROQ told Radio Ink, "The passing of Steve Rivers is a very sad day for all of us who had the privilege of knowing him, and especially for those of us fortunate enough to work for him. I'll never forget the day I got the phone call from Steve asking "Hey man....do you wanna be the Music Director of KIIS/LA?". I learned so much from him in a very short-time. He was the master of the "blocking and tackling" of programming fundamentals. At the same time, his stations always sounded "bigger than life"...much like the man himself. Every week when I do music rotations...Steve's words of wisdom still ring in my head....."Just play the hits!". He was a mentor and a wonderful human. He will be missed by many."


Rivers died Tuesday aftternoon of cardiac arrest. His resume includes, WXKS/Boston, KIIS-FM/Los Angeles, and KMEL/San Francisco. Rivers, who was also a onetime SVP/Programming for CBS Radio, had been in poor health for some time following a series of strokes. All of us at Radio Ink extend our condolences to Rivers' family and friends.

(3/17/2012 12:38:47 AM)
Steve Rivers was one of the two most influential people of my radio career. I am deeply saddened to hear that he's gone. Rivers, you were always very kind to me. Thank you for that.
(3/12/2012 11:45:06 AM)
Steve Rivers was a foundational PD in creation of the Kiss 108 Boston Dynasty. He was the second PD in the station's history and was instumental in bringing the station to the masses and achieveing ratings success. He left a living legacy here at Kiss 108 and through all of the PD's and air talent that he coached and trained throughout his career. It was a priviledge to have worked with him for many years.
(3/9/2012 7:06:59 AM)
Steve was the best. He didn't say much but he didn't have to.....you always knew what he meant. Still convinced he sent me to Miami to work with WEDR so I could get his cigars for him though.
(3/8/2012 10:03:33 PM)
Met him at a convention i was walking into a seminar years ago,he came up behind me and said 'you and Sanborn do a great morning show in Philly..i didnt know him personally but I KNEW WHO HE WAS. I was blown away. I agree with a everyone who says his stations kicked ass.
A big loss to the biz.
(3/8/2012 8:46:02 AM)
Aside from being one of the most brilliant programmers in radio history, Steve was a great human being and a great teacher. The man knew how to give positive reinforcement and get the best out of his people. I always looked forward to the weeks he was in town to work with us at KTU and to discuss music and programming with him. I'm extremely saddened to hear of his passing, radio lost a great one today.

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here