Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Journey Into Radio Ownership

3-21-13

Many times, once a young broadcaster catches the radio bug, it leads to a dream. A dream of ownership. That's exactly what happened to Erica Pefferman who's been sharing her highs and lows with us as she tries to purchase her first radio station. We thought it would be very educational for her to write about her experiences as she gets closer to accomplishing her dream.

It hasn't been easy, and it's very risky. She's only one person looking for one station in a radio world dominated by big company's filled with buckets of stations. Along the way she's had a lot of help from many people whose names you'll recognize. Every Friday, starting today, you'll hear about Erica's journey.

Erica started her radio career in 2003 working for Zimmer Radio Group. She began as a sales assistant and worked up the ranks to AE then D.O.S. in 2010. She started her own consulting company, The Ruckus Group, in 2012 and now works with other radio companies helping them to grow their sales teams, while she works on purchasing her own station. She explains how it all started.

?What?!? or ?Really. Why??  or just plain stunned silence were the answers I received a lot at first. When I told people that I was going to buy a radio station, it was definitely not what they expected to hear. Although my family, friends and clients have all known me to be bold, taking on a project of this magnitude seemed incredibly bold even for me. After all, I was just a small town girl from Missouri, not even 40 years old yet. What did I know? 

Where it all started was in a small retail store in Joplin, MO.  My grandparents owned and operated a western apparel store since 1953. I grew up there. Some of my earliest memories are of watching my grandparents with their customers. Since then, I?ve always known that I wanted to own my own business and be successful, growing a heritage to be left to my family as my grandparents and father have done before me. 

I entered the radio industry a bit by chance and later found out that I was a skilled salesperson. I quickly realized that my passion for small business and my desire to problem solve intersected nicely in the radio industry. I?ve grown to very much love the radio broadcasting industry over the last decade and have pursued learning as much as I can about the entire process of running a station.

My big break came when I was chosen as a mentee in 2012 by the MIW. At this time, ownership was still very much a distant dream to me. Something that I would accomplish ?someday.? I received Erica Farber as my personal mentor. Erica immediately set about connecting me with people that I needed to know and could ask questions from. 

People like Valerie Blackburn with CBS taught me how to read station financial statements. Kay Olin spoke with me about how she started her own company and what her journey was like. And one day I received an email from John David that pointed to an article that said:  ?There are many incredible opportunities for first-time buyers? by Sandi Bergman

Reading that article was a moment in time that I will never forget. That was when I went from thinking ?someday? I would try to buy my own station to ?Today is the day I start trying.? Little did I know that I would begin a very educational and amazing journey, one with twists and turns that I wouldn?t expect.

Next Friday I'll tell you about one of those twists.

Have any advice for Erica? You can reach her at erica@theruckusgroup.com

(3/22/2013 1:20:37 PM)
Met Erica @ Convergence. What a wonderfully talented person! Keep an eye on her progress!
(3/22/2013 1:20:27 PM)
I have the privilege of being Erica's baby sister. My entire life I have looked up to my her as such an inspiration. She has a drive and focus that sets her apart from so many others. She sets her sights on something big and goes at it full gusto. She does not know the word 'fail'. From time to time, her path may be redirected, but it never ends in failure. She chooses to focus on problem solving and solutions and she practices this in all areas of her life. I'm very proud to call her my sister.
(3/22/2013 11:09:07 AM)
Erica is a wonderful example of how wit, will and a vision drive success! She has accomplished much in her career with much more success to come her way. I could not have built Local Focus without the invaluable mentors and support of the MIW's. It is a delight for all of us to pay it forward and see success stories like Erica and numerous other unfold! Kay Olin President/Local Focus
(3/22/2013 8:14:14 AM)
Erica came to the MIW organization as a mentee to gain knowledge and inspiration from our members. But she has become an inspiration herself. She is a dynamic and driven woman. I look forward to reading her Friday articles. You go girl!
Lois @ Radio INK

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here