Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

(Superstar Spotlight) Emmis' Donyshia Benjamin

3-25-2013

From sea to shining sea the radio industry is made up of superstars destined for broadcasting greatness and preparing to lead the industry. Our mission is to find those people and brag about them, bring you their stories, and seek their advice for others breaking into the business. Donyshia Benjamin is the marketing director and "keeper of the Brand" for Emmis' WQHT (Hot 97) in New York City.

Marketing Director/Keeper of the Brand
WQHT (Hot 97)/New York
Emmis
Years in Radio: 16

MY GOAL: To continue to expand the Hot 97 brand, building upon the new innovations and mobile technologies available to our industry. My personal success comes from my focus, hard work, dedication, and the competitor within. However, I would not have achieved my success if it wasn?t for my relationships with my team at Emmis. Creating healthy work relationships with driven people is the key to success in any industry. A company is like a machine: You need all the parts to work well together to succeed, and, thankfully, my counterparts are just as focused and dedicated as I am.

Radio has been a part of my life and my ?Where were you when?? moments for decades. Working for amazing radio brands has built upon my passion for the radio and entertainment industry. We are able to turn nothing into something, by providing listeners with multi-media that make me proud and honored to work in this ever-changing industry. I?m part of a team that is able to touch the lives of millions of people with just one song. Our audience doesn?t have to wait for a print issue to hit the stands or a show to come on TV; with radio, we?re breaking news, announcing events, and capturing the listeners? imagination with once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

My advice to someone trying to break into radio is simple: Listen, learn, and have fun! There are so many components that go into running a successful radio station, and it?s important for a newcomer to be open to learning the various jobs, and to be tenacious. Radio is a lot of grind, hustle, and long hours. Radio is a passion, and not for the weak. In the end, you really have to enjoy the radio experience in order to succeed in this industry. It can be chaotic and confusing and always changing, but it?s worth the ride because you?ll achieve a sense of accomplishment and pride you won?t get anywhere else.

Reach out to Donyshia and congratulate her on her dedication to radio and HOT 97 at dbenjamin@emmisny.com

Do you have a superstar working for you? Call Radio Ink Editor Ed Ryan with all the details. 561-655-8778.

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here