Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Boise Morning Man Goes Homeless

Kevin Miller (pictured) of KIDO says he lived the typical life of a homeless person who has nowhere else to go in Boise, Idaho. "I left all my contacts and means or transportation at home. I moved into the Boise Rescue Mission for Men. It's a home for the homeless, veterans, folks with drug problems and inmates just released from prison."

Miller says he worked with KIDO and the staff of the rescue mission for two months prior to moving in to set it up. "We did the radio show every morning from the home and supported the effort with photos and videos.  Our goal was to allow our listeners to use me as a conduit into the homeless community. Most people believe that homeless folks are the ones they see on the side of the road with a sign begging for money.  I wanted to dispel those myths and highlight the programs designed to help get people back on their feet without government help.  In the old days it was those people, today we all could be homeless due to circumstances beyond our control.

Miller says the experience was humbling and it gave him a greater appreciation for what he has. "I feel guilty for having as many clothes as I do that I don?t use everyday.  I worked in the clothing room and saw how many men would come in looking for a pair of pants and a nice shirt to wear for an interview. I did a different job everyday just like a real guest at the mission; from doing laundry, serving food, to working the clothing room."

Have questions for Kevin, reach him at Miller, Kevin kevin.miller@peakbroadcasting.com

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here