Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

SALES - Why Do Salespeople Give Up Too Soon?

12-28-2011

Successful salespeople are able to bounce back from rejection. They understand that it?s business, not personal. However, many sellers give up too soon. They take ?no? literally and don?t keep pursuing their prospect, whether it?s for an appointment or securing the deal. If I?ve determined an ideal prospect for my business, I don?t stop pursuing them until they say ?Theresa if you don?t stop calling me?I?m going to get a restraining order against you!? which has never happened. ?No? is never final in my mind; it?s just a wake-up call that I haven?t established value in the prospect?s mind.

Why are they saying no? 
No is a natural response when you feel you are being contacted by someone who is trying to ?sell? you something.  History has trained us that most salespeople waste our time and provide no value; therefore you stop the process before it before it begins, ?NO!? Clients tell me they don?t want to do business with anyone who doesn?t fight to earn their business. If someone gives up at the first sign of resistance, it?s perceived as a lack of resolve. The old axiom ?winners never quit and quitters never win? is true in sales.

How to overcome rejection
Remember the Tony Orlando and Dawn song ?Knock Three Times?? Make this your mantra. Change it to ?Ask Three Times? (at the very least) when gaining commitment. In other words, ignore them when they say ?no thank you? and repeat your request. Don?t ask why immediately, either. Just rephrase and repeat.                                                                                                                                                                     

Seller: ?When would your schedule allow 15 minutes for my presentation??                                             
Prospect
: ?I?m very busy right now.?                                                                                                                 
Seller: ?I?ll be in your area next Tuesday; will you be in your office that afternoon?  I?d like to demonstrate how Social media can support your marketing efforts.? Always move forward with a valid reason for them to grant you a meeting.
Prospect: ?No, I will be traveling a lot in the next couple of weeks.?
Seller: ?I understand, why don?t we set-up a virtual call then?? Acknowledge politely, but keep coming back with options that accommodate their needs. 

I often say ?I never take no for an answer.? If I?m trying to book a table, at a hot restaurant for Saturday night, and I?m told they?re fully booked, I make a note to call again the Friday before, when reservations are confirmed. If they?re still fully booked, and everyone?s confirmed, I call again Saturday afternoon or early Saturday evening and I always get in. Same holds true for getting an appointment with a doctor, or securing a hotel reservation. There is always a break through point; all it takes is a little staying power.

Persistence is not to be equated with being a pest. When you hold the line, it demonstrates belief and discipline?you have a plan and you?re committed to it. You?re seen not as a pest, but as someone who obviously feels strongly about their product or company?s work. I can?t count the number of times new clients revealed that they were going to say ?yes?, but a seller stopped asking too soon. It?s a matter of critical mass, either you give up or they give in. People buy you first, or they buy nothing at all.
Theresa Merrill is the Director of Business Development for Anovick Associates. She has more than 20 years of sales and marketing experience in NY, Boston and Atlanta working for Katz Communications, CBS, Tribune and Cablevision and can be reached at 201.444.2991 or by e-mail merrill.theresa@gmail.com

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here