Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

(SPORTS TALK) Work With Your Sales Reps!

7-26-2013

I have to admit something about radio to you: I actually love the executing and selling of radio more than I actually like sports.

Wait, let me explain. When I first got into radio, I came from the playing fields of college and pro football and just thought because I played professional sports that I would have a better understanding as a host on what athletes are thinking, what they feel, etc. Well, a funny thing happened on the way to learning radio. I may have had an understanding of sports, but in no way did that mean I understood how a radio show worked, both in terms of execution and of selling a show.

After 21 years in the business I believe the selling of a show is as important as executing a great show. I was very lucky that I came from a sales background -- my father was an incredible insurance salesman. Dad could sell snake oil to anyone and convince them it could cure cancer. He'd always say to me that "In every rejection on a sale you are that much closer to your next sale." And to this day I have applied that principle in how I go about selling my show.

There has to be a plan in both the executing of a show and the selling of a show. I have a format every single day I do a show and how I am going to be executing it, and I am always looking to improve on-air techniques in getting the most out of PPM. Any host today who ignores the PPM of radio doesn't really see the finish line here. Nobody is trying to change you as a radio host, but radio has changed in how we keep score from the old Arbitron days to the new PPM system. I can hear when a host's ego gets in the way of a station's success by not employing the proper PPM skills you need to win the radio ratings wars.

Like I said, I'm so lucky to have come from a sales background because it has helped me be one of the greatest billers in Sports Talk history. When I was at WDAE in Tampa, I took over a morning radio show and when I left in March of 2012, according to BIA, my show was billing $150,000 a month and getting 8s hares in morning drive for 25-54 men! And I am doing all the things here in SFLA right now that gave me great success in my early years of radio.

Working with any radio station's account executives can be a challenge for any host because of the massive turnover in out business, so it is very important that a host also has a personal relationship with clients. I have formed some of my greatest friendships in life with clients. Not only do I appreciate them investing in me, but I also take advice from some of the people that built billion dollar businesses. My angle has always been "I don't want your money, I want to know how you made it." This is why today I have clients like AT&T that have been with me for over a decade.

Today's radio host has to not only be great on air but in many cases you have to be the top biller at your radio station. After all, who better in the building than you to sell your show?

NOTE: Things are going well at 640 AM sports here in SFLA. Made it through another week and I will be hosting morning drive in Los Angeles on KLAA 830 AM on Aug. 2 & 5.

Dan Sileo, also known as "The Bonecrusher," is a sports talk show host who has worked at KGO & KNBR-WDAE and WQAM. He can be reached at Umiam93@yahoo.com and on Twitter at @dansileoshow

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here