Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Media Buyer Says Radio Reps Frazzled. Doing Too Many Things.

7/22/2011

by Ed Ryan

One of the recent goals we have set for ourselves here at Radio Ink is to conduct as many interviews as possible with local and national advertisers, media buyers and advertising agencies. The goal is to help radio managers understand how they perceive our industry and the people we send out on the street to represent a station or cluster. For example in the August 8th print issue of Radio Ink we have a very interesting interview with Tony Pace, the Chief Marketing Officer for Subway. Pace details exactly what he looks for from radio and how local salespeople should call on local stores. One Pace quote from that piece: ?Radio allows us to get the different portsions of the Subway message out there in a very consistent manner." To find out what he means by that check out page 11 of your August 8th issue of Radio Ink

Today, we have an interview with a very important media buyer operating out of New York City. Elaine Levine is the Vice President/Group Account Director for MPG. Clients she buys radio for include: McDonalds, Sears, K-Mart, Amtrck, Volvo and Fidelty. Her markets include New York City, Los Angelas, Austin and Nashville.

RI: What is your perception of Radio Salespeople
Elaine:  "I think I am very fortunate.  I have some terrific people calling on me and I do think the market is coming back a little bit.  I just think they (radio reps) are being challenged too much to call on agencies looking for non-traditional revenue and new business. Everybody is spread very, very thin. It is very hard some day to even get in touch (with radio reps), because everybody is running from place to place.  If they are in their office, there is a meeting going on. That is probably one of my biggest issues, is trying to get in touch with people.  I just think that people are spread a little bit too thin." 

"I understand there are more revenue opportunities out there for the stations and it?s not just traditional advertising from the agencies, because the world we live in is now changing.  I get that they need to keep going out there and looking for every possibility to find revenue.  It is just hard.  There are only so many hours in the day to get everything done."

RI: What would you like to see the radio reps do better when they are dealing with you? 
Elaine:  "I have to watch my p?s and q?s over here.  The reps who have been calling on me are very senior.  They know the way I work. People kind of come in knowing that we are not going to go around and around with negotiations. You just find less of a support staff for a lot of the reps. It?s hard to get some of the additional information, more than spots on a buy. Now everybody wants added value and you have to get the perfect added value, whatever that might be for your clients. That takes time. Sometimes it's the clients not knowing exactly what they want. It is hard for the reps to do a lot of the bells and whistles these days. I just think the pressure on some of these guys is tremendous. I think it would be nice if we went back to the old days where reps were allowed to make money.  That is the incentive and the carrot for every sales person that I know. A lot of the stations cut commissions, limit salaries. It makes no sense to me. Let them go out and make as much money as they possibly can. You make money, they make money. Everybody?s happy." 

RI: Do you think that they are prepared enough to present to you or pitch to you the digital products they have back at the station?
Elaine: "Not all of the stations have enough tools.  Some are better at it than others.  I think there are radio groups that do digital much better than other ones. I also think it is tough for single stations to compete with the groups? deals. So the CBS and Clear Channel in New York have an edge."

RI:  No sugar-coating it for us, when dealing with the different media who is more prepared?  Radio, TV? 
"I would have to say TV is a little more prepared than radio. I just think radio has a lot to sell. As I said in the beginning, they are being asked to sell the station.  They are being asked to sell the digital component.  They are being asked to find non-traditional revenue. There is just so much more than spots they are selling.  If you are selling more than one station, that is a lot of balls up in the air." 

RI:  Give some advice to radio station reps to be better. 
Elaine:  Be accurate with the information.  Come in with your best deal.  I don?t have time to go back and forth.  I work as efficiently as possible to make everybody happy.  I think management has to understand.   I also think management, sometimes, needs to realize what is going on in the real world.  If they are in their offices with these grand plans, which sound great on paper, they are kind of hard to execute on the street. Just in general, it?s ?Go out and do this.  Go out and sell this.?  It?s like, ok.  That is great when you are sitting in your ivory tower, so to speak.  

Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here