Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Surprise Tribute For Bob Kingsley

2-18-14

As Nashville gears up for the start of the Country Radio Seminar, some of the biggest stars in the format were at the Grand Ole Opry House last night to celebrate Bob Kingsley's 40 years as host of American Country Countdown. Garth Brooks said, ?He?s where you always want to hear your music. And then once you go on his show, he makes everybody feel like somebody. But he?s not two-faced. He?s not putting it on. This is truly how he is ? a sincere, sweet man that loves the music and I think more than that even, he loves the artists that do it.?

Kingsely believed he was heading to the event to introduce a video so he was totally surprised. ?I?m just overwhelmed by this. I had no idea this was going to happen. I am just amazed about this evening, and I thank you all for coming.? The Tennessean has more details about the event.

A 50-year veteran of the radio and music industries, Kingsley walked into the Grand Ole Opry House believing he was there to pay tribute to the Grand Ole Opry?s 89th birthday, when in reality, the evening was all conceived to honor him. "I could not have been more surprised. I could not feel more honored. I have made a career of country music radio because I love it, and to have my friends in the business, from artists and songwriters to industry executives, tell me my work has made a difference--well it means the world to me.  And to have the people I work with day in and day out here to celebrate with me makes it all the more special."

Nearly 50 artists participated in the evening, which included 25+ taped video messages, along with in- person appearances or performances by Rhett Akins and Thomas Rhett, Alabama, Lynn Anderson, Garth Brooks, Eli Young Band, Radney Foster, Janie Fricke, Jack Ingram, Jewel, Kathy Mattea, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Will Robinson, Tom Schuyler, Red Stegall, Jeffrey Steele, Tanya Tucker, Steve Wariner, Lee Ann Womack, Wynonna, Trisha Yearwood, and Chris Young.  Many of the artists who paid tribute commented not only on their professional relationships with Bob but also on their personal friendships. Bob?s dedication and commitment to bringing their music to the fans, while offering insights into their creative processes and personal lives, have made him the most listened-to voice in country radio history.

(2/18/2014 8:35:36 AM)
I've been in Country radio for over 40 years and Bob has always been someone I looked up to and wanted to be like. He still has the top countdown show hands down. Thanks Bob!
(2/18/2014 8:05:13 AM)
Bob Kingsley has truly been an inspiration to several generations of country fans and radio people (I am both). My oldest son, Nick, who now does mid-days at 100.7 The Wolf in Seattle, and I would often listen to Bob's countdown & discuss his mellow delivery and knowledge of the music through the years. So great to see Bob get this "love" from the artists & our industry. Brent Alan-Brand Manager 92.7 The Van, Holland Mich & Nights WNWN-Battle Creek Mich
(2/18/2014 6:45:18 AM)
American Country Countdown was one of the first syndicated shows we ran on our radio station here in Idaho, back when ACC first started. Got to chat a few times with Bob, or see a liner come in from him, he did three just for me. I remember the big box of LP's, that came with AT40 we ran both formats, You'd have to run both turntables and be right on cue, for the program to sound right. congrats Bob.

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here