Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

(AUDIO) He Was Tired of Big Bad Corporate Radio, So He Bought His Own Station.

4-24-2012

(by Ed Ryan) Some would say that Paul Wilson is living the American Radio Dream. Wilson worked his way up from a weekend announcer in High School to - 6 months ago - owning his own station. How many of us radio junkies have thought about going back to that one station, where we got our first break, to buy it and live happily ever after? Some of us think about it. Paul Wilson did it.

Although it wasn't the station Wilson broke into the business on, he did his due diligence, knew what he wanted and found it. Some might also say Wilson is out of his mind. He took his entire life savings to pay for the station he now owns. The station where he's the morning host and salesperson and his wife is the sales manager. It's a great radio story and we spoke to Wilson about how it all came about. Take a listen to our interview with Wilson HERE and let us know your thoughts below. Would you ever do what he did?

The station Wilson purchased is WROX in Clarksdalle, MS
He purchased the station from Larry Fuss.
Wilson and his wife used their entire life savings to put a down payment on the station.
Fuss held the paper.
The website is www.wroxradio.com
Reach out to Wilson via e-mail at paul@wroxradio.com

(4/24/2012 10:24:35 PM)
Here's to you, buddy!!!!

In Dec. 2007, I purchased my own station, WLSC Loris, SC (25 miles from Myrtle Beach, SC). My first 4 years as an owner have been the last 4 years (yuck!), but we should turn a profit this year. Now, it's me that's not paying me as much as I'm worth.

Local, local, local is the key, but make sure your local, local, local is growing. You can't sell ads to empty buildings and radio is no different that any other business, you gotta have sales to survive. Better put some digital in your game, too and cut those expenses. I've made a ton of mistakes, but I've learned from them. I've managed to survive the last 4 years.

(4/24/2012 12:58:34 PM)
I commend Paul on having the courage to take that step.I too took the plunge back in 2000, purchasing my first small market AM/FM combo then buying another small market station. At one point I owned 4 stations. It's more than a notion. As mentioned in some of the comments above -- long hours, hard work but the satisfaction of ownership has its merits and the opportunity to contribute to community building, particularly in small markets I truly appreciated.
(4/24/2012 12:36:35 PM)
I'm on the fence on this one. Having worked at two stations where the owners did the same thing, I would be a little nervous to do it myself. One of the owners literally worked himself into the grave, dying of a stroke in his early 50s after putting in 60+ hour weeks with little vacation time for the 8+ years I was there. The other sold out, though I heard he bought another small market, so he must have kept the bug. As a GM, I like the comfort of a company, but there's always the what if...
(4/24/2012 11:56:17 AM)
Great Story!
I can relate as I too decided to take the plunge into ownership 5 years ago.

I must admit my confusion with understanding the focus and target of the station(s).

How do you operate a "Classic Soul & R&B
Station" in a market that's 76% Black
with an all White air staff?

Also,The Donny Osmond Show must really be soulful!

(4/24/2012 11:40:18 AM)
Paul, you and your wife are going to make it so long as, beyond your commitment and hard work, you make your small market station
INDISPENSABLE to the communities you serve.
INDISPENSABLE to your listeners.
INDISPENSABLE to advertisers.
INDISPENSABLE to web site visitors
INDISPENSABLE to future employees
You cannot overdue for the communities u serve!
LOCAL! LOCAL! LOCAL! LOCAL! LOCAL! LOCAL!
Do ascertainment interviews every day!
All the best!
Giff

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here