Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Radio Legend Ron Ruth Passes

11-16-13

One of radio's giants, Ron Ruth, passed away this past weekend, at the age of 75. A familiar and beloved figure, Ron spent 19 years at the Radio Advertising Bureau as EVP of stations until 2011 when he left to become an outside consultant for the trade group.

His stint at the RAB followed a successful radio career that started on the programming side in San Antonio. Making his way to Boston, Ruth ended up sharing a small apartment with two other aspiring jocks, Jack Burns and George Carlin. "I soon realized I had no talent for being on-air, so I talked the GM into letting me sort of get into sales."
Eventually, the road led to New York and WOR. As Ruth related in a 2005 R&R interview, "Then they moved me to New York to this thing called WOR-FM. It was an amazing rocket ride and going absolutely nuts as the No. 1 FM in the country. I decided to move to Europe. I took my wife at the time and our two young children and packed everything into six boxes and four suitcases and went off to London. We bought a van and struck out."

"Fast-forward 18 months, and I got a call from San Juan Racing. They tracked me down because of my supposed expertise in classical music and wanted me to go to WTMI/Miami, which I agreed to do. I was there about a year, and Storz contacted me to go over to WQAM, which was No. 1 in Miami at the time. I was there about four or five years and then went to Hawaii, where I got into ownership."

Longtime friend George Hyde worked with Ruth at the RAB for many years. "Ron was a great friend to anyone in the Radio industry. He had an easy manner that made everyone around him feel important. There are thousands of broadcasters today who mourn his passing not only with a tear, but with a smile in remembrance of his effervescent personality and how he made them feel."
And in a statement from the Radio Advertising Bureau, "It is with a sad and heavy heart that the RAB announces the passing of our beloved colleague and Radio industry favorite, Ron Ruth. Ron succumbed to cardiac arrest early Saturday morning after battling health issues the last two months. Ron was at the helm of the RAB Membership team for twenty-plus years."

Funeral arrangements are pending.

(11/18/2013 12:06:29 AM)
Wayne Cornils-Ron Ruth. Two great men and great leaders and teachers. The very best of the best. Ron Ruth: Great man and did so much for my growth in my career! Thank you Ron Ruth!

Add a Comment | View All Comments Send This Story To A Friend


View the original article here