Who connects the dots where you work so that the local cluster has the most power to influence listeners, clients, community and the core that matters to the full development of each of your local radio stations? Of course, everyone today plays a major role, but if you truly want to get ahead you have to provide that extra special spark of creativity, helpfulness, and ability to be what is needed in a wide variety of areas within your cluster. This includes the basics, but today it also includes social media and you shouldn?t miss a step being the ?go-to-person? for social in your cluster. Here?s how you do that:
1. Make sure you self-educate on what radio, media, and companies outside of media are doing with social media to be productive for their brands so you can quickly help anyone on your team from sales to programming to promotion with an easy and quick answer to questions they may have about social media today in your market.
2. Encourage distribution and reading of materials you find most helpful and target ?your? readers (your distribution within the cluster) by segments such as ?morning show host,? ?program director,? ?sales manager,? and ?non-traditional revenue manager? so that you are consistently (about once a week) supplying these folks with interesting material that relates directly to their success.
3. Be creative in your approach so that you are truly talking about something that is important to individual players in programming and sales, management and promotion. Key off of things that will make each of your co-workers look great and don?t worry about taking credit. Sharing this information with each of them will consistently bring you all the credit you need ? soon and long-term -- as the social media ?go-to-person? on staff. You watch and see.
4. Always nudge people to have a fully developed strategic plan to meet specific goals of their job and for the overall company. This means that their efforts will make them look good and make them more productive. This will come back to you in waves of ?positive energy.?
5. Positively reinforce good social-media behaviors and make as public as possible your appreciation for the ?brilliant work? of X, Y and Z on your staff without taking any credit yourself. Making others consistently look good and supporting their value and their productivity will pay dividends for you.
This is all about developing deeper value for your cluster and getting ahead in your career. Bosses and co-workers like people who make their jobs easier and more productive. Businesses usually reward employees who make them more profitable. Yes, you can do all of these things with social media. Don?t wait. Get started today. Encourage social media by giving more than encouragement. Give specific ideas, specific examples, and specific and consistent help to others in your cluster and you?ll see that you will quickly develop into the go-to person for social media?in addition to your other value. That makes you a winner. Maybe the winner.
Loyd Ford is the digital revenue, direct marketing, ratings and social media strategist for Rainmaker Pathway and Americalist Direct Marketing. Loyd has programmed very successful radio brands in markets of all sizes, including KRMD AM & FM in Shreveport, and WSSL and WMYI in Greenville, WKKT in Charlotte and WBEE in Rochester, NY. Learn more about Loyd here: http://about.me/loydford. Get his radio-social media content sent directly to your smart phone or email for free here: www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com. Reach out to Loyd via e-mail HERE. Visit his Facebook radio social media page HERE.
Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend