Google Search

eobot

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Are You The Best Radio Has To Offer?

Are You The Best Radio Has To Offer?
A Message from Radio Ink Publisher Eric Rhoads


I used to attend radio industry events where it seemed like all the awards were going to the old guys who were about to be put out to pasture.

Don't get me wrong. These people made incredible contributions to the radio industry, and they were deserving of their rewards. But it was my opinion that the success of these radio luminaries was built around the people operating at the station level and the street level. So I wanted to create an award to honor the people who were making everyone else rich and making radio great.

I had just started this magazine, and I approached the RAB about presenting our Radio Ink award at the annual RAB conference, and they agreed. And about that time I learned that one of my mentors and the person who helped me know how to navigate the industry and launch this magazine had been diagnosed with cancer. Because he represented the people of the industry, and because he represented the highest standards of professionalism for radio and spent his life trying to turn a seat-of-the-pants industry with a bad sales reputation into an industry of professionals, I decided to name my new awards after him.

I launched the "Radio Wayne" awards in honor of "Radio Wayne" Cornils, who at the time worked for RAB and before that had worked for the NAB and of course in the radio industry. Everyone loved this man and what he stood for. The honor for me was naming the award after him while he was alive and giving him the public recognition he deserved.

Wayne beat the cancer and lived several more years and always joined me onstage to pass out the awards. The most difficult day of my career was the onstage speech I had to give at the awards the year Wayne passed away. There was not a dry eye in the place, and I pretty much lost it.

Now in its 19th year, the Radio Wayne Awards continue to be about the people who make this industry sing loudly and proudly. It is a chance to reward and recognize the best of the best in this industry and give them the praise they deserve. And, to my surprise, this award has become a big deal in this industry. People fly from all corners of the earth when they learn they've been nominated. I've seen people fly their entire families in so they can be there if they by chance win the award. (We never ever tell anyone in advance that they have won.)

The reward of this award is all mine, frankly. As I travel, I see Radio Wayne awards proudly displayed in offices. I've seen search firms seek out Radio Wayne award winners and even nominees because they know about the reputation this award creates.

But this award is a reflection of you, the people who make this a wonderful industry. It's not about the big shots who usually get all the attention. It's about the folks who show up every day to call on clients, to meet with salespeople, and to make their radio stations operate like well-oiled machines.

The Radio Wayne Award is not a popularity contest. We make nominees prove they are doing great things, in the interest of building the good name and reputation of radio before promoting their individual stations. We believe if you sell the value of radio first, that rising tide raises all ships.

Once nominations are received, we ship the nomination information to a panel of judges we select. They never see your name, so they're not tempted to promote someone they know. They only see your track record and why others believe you deserve this industry recognition.

Who do you believe are the very best radio has to offer? Is it you or someone who works with you? We want to know.

Please
go to this link and fill out the form to submit a nomination. We will hold the awards September 30 at noon, at the new Radio Show (NAB-RAB). I want to honor radio's best on that day. I hope you'll join us. (By the way, we need to unify as an industry at every opportunity, and I hope you'll attend this new Radio Show.)

Here are the categories. If you know someone who is the perfect representative for a category, please nominate them and tell us why they are special to you. And please forward this to others in the industry. Note: This is a Radio Ink award and is not affiliated with NAB or RAB.

Categories: 2010 Radio Wayne Awards
America's Best Broadcaster
Director of Sales of the Year
General Manager of the Year
Market Manager of the Year
National Sales Director of the Year
Sales Manager of the Year
Interactive Salesperson of the Year
Streetfighter (Account Executive)

Go to this link now, and give us your nominations.

 
Eric Rhoads
Radio Ink


Please don't reply to this e-mail. To comment,
click here.


TWITTER
FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN
Bookmark and Share 



Streamline Publishing, Inc.
2090 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd., Ste. 300
West Palm Beach, FL 33409