There is a secret that is most difficult for some to learn when it comes to social media. It relates to consistency and prolonged effort, strategy and a willingness to learn to connect like no one else with listeners you want to attract and influence. In fact, here is a list of secrets.
1. Most people won't do the work. Everyone thinks they can do social media because?they're on Facebook. Just like other businesses, being there doesn't make you a winner. Being a winner makes you a winner and that takes work. Give your social media enough respect to dedicate part of your working day to cultivating relationships with listeners consistently.
2. Many won't be consistent. Once you decide what you want to accomplish with your social media (see strategy development below) being consistent will set you apart and this is the only thing that will bring you to the rarefied air of amazing results. Be consistent.
3. Rarely are most of the people you run into willing to have an actual content strategy and to consistently execute that strategy. If you don't have a content strategy, why are you doing this? It always reminds me of the 1950s when they let "Ed" come in with his record collection and play "his tunes." That wouldn't happen today on a major broadcast outlet, but all across the country you can find radio stations doing essentially that with their social media. Be different, develop a social media content strategy and stick to it.
4. Most won't even focus on the listener; they focus only on contesting and the station or national gossip or easy tricks. There are important things happening in your market and great connections to high passions. Are you doing that? Social media is a perfect place to dig in and win with this kind of engagement.
5. The secret is really caring about what you are putting into your social media. That means that the caring has to come from the top. If it isn't important to management, it isn?t important. It's not as professional. Make it professional and you will discover the secrets of social media and making your social media effective for your station, your cluster, your sales team and your company.
Use these secrets and you will find success in engaging listeners and getting better ratings and more revenue from your efforts. It's more than that. It's really winning the hearts and minds of your market in a way that no competitor can "pull away." That's the real secret.
Loyd Ford is the digital revenue, direct marketing, ratings and social media strategist for Rainmaker Pathway and Americalist Direct Marketing. Loyd has programmed very successful radio brands in markets of all sizes, including KRMD AM & FM in Shreveport, and WSSL and WMYI in Greenville, WKKT in Charlotte and WBEE in Rochester, NY. Learn more about Loyd here: http://about.me/loydford. Get his radio-social media content sent directly to your smart phone or email for free here: www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com.
Add a Comment Send This Story To A Friend